The client worked in the telecommunications industry and had been successful in both developing and marketing their product range. The company had grown to the point where the managing director felt that he needed to review both the role and balance of the management team.
We were instructed to facilitate this process and designed a programme with four steps:
- Team Role Analysis
- Individual Coaching
- Review of Job Descriptions
- Teambuilding Event to Consolidate Lessons Learnt
Team Role Analysis
Each member of the team was invited to complete a self-assessment questionnaire identifying their preference for the way he/she could contribute to the team. In addition to this each participant was invited to identify at least four observers who knew their work well and could provide 360-degree feedback on their performance. Each team member then received a report on:
- Their preferred team roles
- Details of the way their colleagues perceived them
- An analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the management team.
A one to one interview was arranged with each participant to discuss the outcomes of this assessment, their perceptions of how they worked as a team member and where they felt they needed to develop. An individual action plan was produced at the end of each session and managers were able to arrange follow-up interviews where appropriate. Recommendations from these interviews to the management team included:
- Revision of Job Roles
- Introduction of Team Roles into the Recruitment Strategy
- Introduction of a Coaching Regime
All job roles were re written separating out 3 sections:
These were reviewed at performance appraisals.
Team members were also asked to give a presentation on their revised role at the following team building event.
A teambuilding event was planned to bring the threads of the programme together. Exercises were designed to present the team with dilemmas that were likely to occur in an environment where rapid product development was vital. A review of team roles helped participants understand the dynamics of the group and how they interacted together.
- Presentations on job roles brought responsibilities up to date
- The team improved the way it managed conflicting priorities
- The team was able to design a new protocol for the management of product development
- Customer services was restructured to bring more emphasis to customer relationships
- Business grew by 20%
“I first met Mike almost 20 years ago at a time when my first business was a struggling technology start-up. His professional advice and mentoring helped me transform the business as he worked with both my team and I over a 10 year period, right up to disposal. During this timeframe he focused on ensuring that each and every team member was well-aligned with their role and interfaced appropriately with their colleagues, a very key ingredient for success. I remain in contact with Mike today, even more so recently as I embark on another start-up. “
Mark Brooks MD