The Modern Way of Managing Roles
The continually changing nature of work, and the increasing emphasis on performance, make it more difficult to define the true content of a job. The evidence for this is shown in several ways:
- Greater expectations
- More work across traditional boundaries
- Changing processes
Changing the way we work is increasingly important in the modern team.
The approach describes work in terms of its essential constraints:
- Performance criteria
Once a dialogue is set up concerning this the manager is asked to specify what they expect a colleague or subordinate to do, together with the likely risks.
Work scoping is designed to remove the ambiguity that is attached to the assigning of work whilst at the same time allowing people to accept a job that they feel confident they can complete.
The assessment profile we have developed also enables work package managers to monitor and record the value arising from work actually happening.
- A methodology for defining the main components of job roles.
- An understanding of how the nature of work is changing.
- Reports on benefits achieved.
- The development of a dialogue between managers and employees regarding capability.
- Coaching for work managers.
- An analysis of the working relationships between people using team roles.
- An understanding of the contract between customer and supplier.
How Your Organisation Could Use It
Generate new work profiles
Train your staff to analyse and adapt the roles of team members
Used by the MD of VIP to appoint new staff to crucial roles